What is S.T.E.P. (Foundations)?
S.T.E.P. (Foundations) is a transitional program designed to help individuals plan and prepare for their futures. Beginning at the age of 12 into adulthood, individuals can choose to participate in classes that cover a variety of subjects or partake in post-secondary, employment, volunteering and/or community integration assistance.
S.T.E.P. Classes Provided:
The following classes can take place in the individual’s school or at our office. They are approximately 30 minutes to an hour in length depending on the individual.
- Transitions Curriculum
- Life Skills Curriculum
- Healthy Relationships
- Anger Management
- Conflict Resolution
- Dealing with Bullies
- Budgets & Ledgers
- Life Skills
Summer classes will support students with one-on-one training that focuses on Life Skills Development, Summer Employment, Community Safety, Volunteering, Job Specific Training (i.e.: Driver’s Education, Safe Food Handling, Contacts to Smart Serve, etc.)
S.T.E.P. Services Provided:
- Assisting students to find and complete Coop placements
- Transitioning youth out of school to post-secondary education, training, certificate programs, apprenticeships, volunteering or employment.
- Job readiness skills and supporting students at work.
- Links to other agencies for resumes, job search, assessments, etc.
- Links to our agency’s programs, such as, Community Integration Program, Special Olympics Ontario, Volunteer Services Program, and Supported Independent Living/Residential Programs.
- Links to other agencies, such as, D.S.O., O.D.S.P., H.R.D.C., Community Employment Program/Employment Options, etc.
- The development of Person Centered Plans (Essential Lifestyle Plans)
- Assisting students to find and complete placements for the required 40 hours of Community Services required by the Ministry of Education in order to graduate secondary school.
For more information on the S.T.E.P. Program please contact:
Lauri Lambert, Director of Community Development
(705)- 567-9331 ext. 229
705-567-9331, ext 222
Star Bolger, S.T.E.P. Instructor
Gloria Cottrill, S.T.E.P. Instructor